The Burlington Township Police Department Records Bureau assists residents with the application, processing, and registration of firearms. For questions, please call (609) 239-5882.
The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit utilizes the statewide Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The FARS system allows firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0030600) for the Burlington Township Police Department.
Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph).
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Burlington Township Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0030600. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in Burlington Township. If you're unsure which town to apply for, please contact the Burlington Township Tax Assessor's Office to verify your residency, at (609) 239-5827.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Make note of your FARS Contributor's Case Number for use later. Be sure to check all relevant boxes for the items you are applying for. When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember the following:
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2.00)
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with renewal after 90 days)
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn't get more than one initially, you will need to apply again
When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references may be family members if you wish.
Step 4: Upon completing the online application, you MUST appear at the Burlington Township Police Department to pay for your initial FID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permits immediately. For fees and instructions concerning payment, see details below.
Applications will NOT be processed until all applicable fees are paid. Valid ID MUST be presented. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Step 5: Schedule an appointment with IdentoGo to be fingerprinted. Go to the website https://uenroll.identogo.com/ and enter the NJ Firearms Licensing service code "2F164B". After entering your essential information, enter the ORI# for Burlington Twp. "NJ0030600". On the next page, enter the FARS Contributor's Case Number that your received when completing the online application.
Step 6: Although the FARS online application system sends an automated email informing the applicant of his/her approval, PLEASE WAIT TO BE CONTACTED by a Burlington Township Police Department representative before coming to pick up your Firearms Identification Card (FID) or Permits. DO NOT CONTACT OR APPEAR AT THE POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL ADVISED TO DO SO.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process.
- If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for pistol purchase permits, the applicant must re=apply for the pistol purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website.
Firearms Fee Schedule
- Applications for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Check/Money Order payable to the "Burlington Township Police Department" in the amount of $5.00.
- Applications to Purchase a Handgun (STS-033): Cash (exact change) or Check/Money Order payable to the "Burlington Township Police Department" in the amount of $2.00 per handgun permit.
- Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (STS-033): There is NO fee.